Well, I have been a little under the weather these last few days. My boys have been looking after me, Mr H has had sleepless nights with me and Lil G was very quick to play the role of Dr Hargreaves. The cutest Dr I have ever seen who at every opportunity has tapped me on the head or held my hand and told me all will be ok. And it made me realise this morning just how much I love the way that, without prompting, he holds my hand. Not because he is forced or because he feels he has too but because he takes comfort and feels secure by my side. It’s the smallest of gestures which really touch me as a mummy.
There are times when I find myself thinking about the things I love. The little things that make me happy, that make me smile and keep you going when life gets tough. Or even when its so blooming freezing outside, when the days are dark and gloomy I’m left dreaming of the long, hot sunny days of summer. I thought I’d share with you my favourite things at the moment…
- Ooh that first cup of tea of the day
- A long relaxing soak in the bath
- Holding hands with my gorgeous boy
- Reading on a sunbed in the sunshine
- Looking in on my gorgeous boy as he sleeps and kissing him goodnight
- Dancing in the kitchen whilst baking
- A road trip with someone you love
- Al fresco breakfast
- A picnic in the sunshine
- The smell of fresh blooms
As I read back through the list I could have easily made 10 points just about being a mummy, which really is the best job ever. I had to stop myself from them all referring to something about being a parent. No matter how much I enjoy my ‘paid job’, the career I have built over the last ten years, or my blogging which is also a career of sorts nothing will replace the overwhelming sense of unconditional love, responsibility and love I have for being a mummy. I always knew growing up that I wanted to have a family, a unit around me I could care for and nurture. I never knew just how warm and fuzzy it would leave me feeling.
Being mummy to my gorgeous boy brings so much joy to my life, to my day when he is at school and I am at work. He adds so much fun to our little family. Life as a family is so much more than I ever imagined it could be. Its something I find myself struggling to explain. I have loved being a mummy since the moment I found out that we were pregnant. That feeling of Lil G being apart of our wedding day but we never knew, he joined us on our honeymoon which may have been a little boozy (ssshhhhh) and of course the first time I held him skin to skin. Magical moments which will forever sit high on the list of my most treasured memories.
This list got me thinking about what I love the most about being a mummy. With Mother’s Day just around the corner and these gorgeous The Freya blooms which the lovely team over at Bloom and Wild sent to me as part of their Mothers Day campaign #motherswelove, I thought I’d get a little soppy and share with you why I love being a mummy…
- The overwhelming sense of unconditional love
- Having the opportunity to watch him grow, to nurture his development
- Listening to him read his first book (which happened this week)
- The sound of laughter when I’m tickling him
- Holding hands as we walk to school
- Hearing those three magic words ‘love you mummy’
- The feeling that I’m the one he needs when he’s poorly
- Three in the bed snuggles
- Lil G’s ability to turn a frown upside down
- His little tales about his day, his adventures, about the moments I’ve missed
Being mummy to Lil G really is the best job ever. What do you love about being a parent?
* Disclosure: The beautiful blooms were gifted to us by Bloom & Wild as part of their Mothers Day campaign