If there is one print I go crazy for but only recently in the last couple of years found the confidence to wear, it is leopard print. It is a print that has dominated the catwalks for years gone by and I don’t see it disappearing any time soon. For me its all about control, you know that little old rule of less is more. I think that is so true with this print. I’ve gone from only owning a pair of ankle boots and a coat to having another pair of boots, a scarf, a skirt (or two) and now a shirt. Oh how I love this shirt, and it seems so many of you do too. I find myself regularly scrolling through Instagram or Pinterest looking for outfit inspiration on how best to wear it so I thought I would share some of my tips with you.
But first, lets discuss this pyjama style shirt a little more. My new style love. So far I have only paired it with my high waist denim cut off jeans. I am really looking forward to the sunshine coming out and wearing it with my denim skirt or a pair of cut off denim shirts, for me it works best with denim but I am wondering how it would look with a pleated skirt or culottes. I love the style and relaxed cut of these shirts, I need to find some more.
And now back to the print. As prints go, leopard can be a bit sassy so as I am very quickly approaching forty I am trying my best to be mindful of how and when I wear it. I have made a few mistakes in the past. I guess that’s how you learn what works right? I once had a faux fur coat and as much as I adored it, it just felt too much and I found Mr H doing his best to deter me from wearing it. And so, moving forward I am trying to be less Bet Lynch and more Carrie Bradshaw in my choices. There are certain ways leopard print can look a little tacky, but when it’s styled well it looks more amazing than crazy.
And so here are my tips for wearing leopard print…
- Keep the rest of your outfit quite simple. Let the print make the outfit, I tend to treat leopard print as an accessory and build an outfit around it. For some this type of print is a little out there, its bold and often a statement piece. I say let it shine.
- Some would disagree but I would say wear one leopard print item at a time. Don’t be pairing a coat with matching bag and shoes, although if you do want to match your accessories then go for leopard print shoes and a handbag and keep the rest of the outfit plain.
- Add a pop of pretty colour. One of my favourite colour combinations is pink and leopard print – striking but such a pretty combination. Other favourites would be mint green and red.
- Don’t forget to accessorise. The easiest way to wear leopard print is with a killer shoe, a snazzy scarf, sunglasses or a handbag. That reminds me, I need a handbag!
- A little contradiction to point 1, in my defence I started to write this post before I paired my leopard print scarf with a striped breton. What a revelation, definitely a combination I will wear again.
How would you style leopard print? I would love to know in the comments. And if you need inspiration then pop over to my style loves page where I have added my favourite leopard print bits from the high street in a little collection for you.[shopr collection=”leopard-love”]